It was first displayed at Lirey in France in the 1350s and subsequently passed into the hands of the Dukes of Savoy.After many journeys the shroud was finally brought to Turin in 1578 where, in 1694, it was placed in the royal chapel of Turin Cathedral in a specially designed shrine.As early as the reign of Alfonso II "el Casto" King of Asturias (791-842), the construction of a series of fortified villages and castles was started in the mountains above the upper Ebro to guard against Muslim invasions, from which the name "Castilla" (later given to the area) was derived.In 804, a separate bishopric was established at Valpuesta to administer religious affairs in the area.1 - Department of Geosciences, 2 - Department of Physics, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA 3 - Research Laboratory for Archaeology and History of Art, University of Oxford, Oxford, OX1 3QJ, UK 4 - Institut für Mittelenergiephysik, ETH-Hönggerberg, CH-8093 Zürich, Switzerland 5 - Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, Columbia University, Palisades, New York 10964, USA 6 - Research Laboratory, British Museum, London WC1B 3DG, UK Very small samples from the Shroud of Turin have been dated by accelerator mass spectrometry in laboratories at Arizona, Oxford and Zurich.
They are both really happy.' We don't know much about Chris Moyles' new girlfriend Tiffany Austin, but what we do know is she's a super chic dresser.
Other early reports relating to Castile are provided by the Chronicon Albeldense which records the rebellion of Froilane, Gallici comite in the first year of the reign of Alfonso III King of Asturias (866), the kings exile in Castellam, and his return after Fruela was killed.
The same source records that Didacus filius Ruderici erat comes in Castella during the reign of Alfonso III King of Asturias, dated to 882, while Vigila Scemeniz was comes in Alava and attacked Castile and arrived at castrum...
Photography of the shroud by Secondo Pia in 1898 indicated that the image resembled a photographic 'negative' and represents the first modern study.
Subsequently the shroud was made available for scientific examination, first in 19 by a committee appointed by Cardinal Michele Pellegrino .